Financial support



Centrelink Payments

There are several payments available through Centrelink for both carers and individuals on the spectrum.

Carer Allowance

This is a Centrelink payment for carers who provide additional daily care and attention for someone with a disability

It is not means tested and is paid every two weeks. The current payment is $123.50.

It is a good idea to apply for Carer Allowance as soon as you have decided to seek an assessment, so long as you are providing daily care for your child. The payment starts from the date the form is lodged not from the date of assessment.

To start the process visit your GP, as you and a medical practitioner both need to fill in the form.

Read more on the Department of Human Services website.

Carer Payment

This is a payment made to carers who provide care for a person with a severe disability who has higher needs. The payment is means tested, and evaluated based on income, assets and residential requirements.

Payments are made fortnightly and the rate varies depending on your individual assessment.

Read more on the Department of Human Services website.

Carer Supplement

This is an annual lump-sum payment to assist carers with the costs of caring for a person with a disability. To be eligible for the payment you must be receiving the Carer Allowance or the Carer Payment as of the 1 July each year.

The payment is approximately $600 and you do not need to apply for it. You will automatically receive it if you are eligible however it’s always a good idea to check with Centrelink.

Read more on the Department of Human Services website.

Carer Adjustment Payment

This is a one-off payment following a catastrophic event when a child under 7 years is diagnosed with a major disability.

The maximum payment amount any family can receive is $10,000 for each child in a single catastrophic event

There are several eligibility criteria for this payment and the amount you receive is dependent on your family’s circumstances. The payment is non-taxable.

Read more on the Department of Human Services website.

Special Child Care Benefit

When a family is facing hardship in the short term, which has substantially reduced their capacity to pay childcare fees, they can apply for assistance with childcare fees.
Special Child Care Benefit can help cover the cost of childcare, up to and including the total fee charged by your childcare service, for up to 13 weeks.

Read more on the Department of Human Services website.

Payments for people over 16 years of age

Once young people are over 16 years of age there are other funding supports available, such as the Disability Support Pension, Youth Allowance, Youth Disability Supplement and more.

Read more on the Autism Launchpad website

Health Care Card

Anyone diagnosed with autism is also entitled to a health care card. Again, your GP is the first point of contact to set this up.

A Health Care Card entitles the holder to:

  • Bulk billing by your GP
  • Cheaper PBS medicines
  • assistance with hearing services through the Office of Hearing Services
  • discounted mail redirection through Australia Post

State and Territory Governments and local councils may offer concessions, such as:

  • energy and electricity bills
  • health-care costs, including ambulance, dental and eye care
  • public-transport costs
  • rates

Please check with your State and Territory Government regarding which concessions are available to Health Care Card holders. Concessional entitlements may vary between States and Territories.

Read more on the Department of Human Services website.